Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cherry Limeade Bars



The other day, when I felt like I had time to spare to try a new recipe, I found this tempting treat.  It boasted Summertime taste, and as it has been snowy and cold I thought it sounded great.  Plus, they look so Christmas-y in their cute red and green. 

They did indeed bring to mind cherry limeade.  They were very sweet and a little one went a long way.     It may not be the traditional dessert when you think of Christmas but with their cute color they certainly look the part.  And who doesn't need a splash of Summer-time in mid-Winter?

I found the recipe over at Cheeky Kitchen with Brooke McLay.  She makes them sound and look so fabulous you just can't resist a try.  


Cherry Limeade BarsTangy and sweet, a twist on the classic lemon bar, these easy dessert squares simply scream summer. A light, buttery crust is cooked with a thin layer of maraschino cherry puree, then topped with a lime custard. These little treats are just as refreshing as a tall glass of limeade. You’re going to love them.
1 c. flour
½ c. butter, softened
¼ c. powdered sugar
Dash of salt
6 oz. can maraschino cherries , undrained
½ Tbsp. cornstarch
3 eggs
1 ¼ c. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
¼ c. key lime juice *
Green Gel Food Coloring
In a large bowl, combine flour, butter , powdered sugar, salt and flour until well mixed. Press into the bottom of a 9x9 inch baking pan. Pour the entire, undrained can of maraschino cherries into a blender, add cornstarch and blend until well chopped (but not pureed). Using a spatula, carefully spread the cherry mixture over the crust mixture. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, beat together remaining ingredients. Pour over cooked crust & cherry mixture. Return to oven and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the mixture has set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars, garnishing with powdered sugar, and serving to your favorite people.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Huh. I'm SURE I've seen your blog before. Probably clicked over from PYP one time or another. But today I became a follower. Hope you don't mind.
Love your blog and I share your sentiment about the importance of a "good table".
This recipe looks fantastic and I think I'll make a raspberry limeade or maybe lemonade version for our big family dinner tonight.
Totally winging it with whatever I have on hand. Browsing through your blog tells me you understand perfectly.
The grown kids and grandkids gather round our "Good table" once a week. It's my favorite meal, no matter what we eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails