Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lasagna

 

I thought I had already posted this but when I looked at my blog today, I found I hadn't.  Sorry the picture is so bad.  I have decided I really don't have what it takes to make a really good food blog.  But I want to keep trying at least, if nothing else a sort of recipe book.    
So this week I made Lasagna.  This is not something I make often.  I grew up with a sort of loathing of anything spaghetti-like.  However I learned to like good lasagna and sometimes spaghetti.  My Daughter LOVES spaghetti.  But she hates lasagna.  I think it's just a kid vs. casserole thing but I don't understand it.
I actually bought a frozen lasagna last year.  Because I had a coupon and it was on sale and I figured for one of those busy nights...  I won't make that mistake again.  Bleck.   

Although I do use packaged noodles, I really do prefer homemade.  The effort is worth it.  For this batch I was also lucky enough to have several of the ingredients from my own garden.  That makes it even better!  Tomatoes, basil, parsley, garlic


I don't have any good measurements for this recipe, you will have to do it all to taste.

Meat sauce

1 lb ground beef - if you would rather substitute or use 1/2 sausage.
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 tablespoon dry parsley or more if fresh, to taste.
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp basil, dry, more if fresh, to taste.
2 cups tomato sauce or more.  You can use fresh, canned or from paste.

Brown meat.  Add onions and garlic until softened. Add remaining ingredients.

Cheese sauce
2 eggs
1 lb ricotta cheese.  You can substitute cottage cheese.
1/4 cup Parmesan, to taste.

Mix eggs and ricotta and Parmesan.  

1 lb mozzerella
lasagna noodles

Spread a small amount of meat sauce in bottom of pan (My pan is about 7x12 so if yours is bigger or smaller you will need to adjust amount on each layer) so noodles won't stick.   Par boil the noodles so they are softened but not soggy.  layer noodles, then cheese mixture, meat mixture and mozzerella, repeat.  I usually have enough for two layers and end with noodles on top.  Reserve some mozzerella for the top.
Bake 350 deg. for about 30 min.  covered lightly with foil.  remove and put mozzerella on top and return, uncovered until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm not a lasagna lover but this looks really good!

cindy said...

this looks really yummy! I'm going to make it this weekend. It's my kids' favorite dinner. I love your blog! Keep up the great work! I'm always looking for fun new recipies to try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails