Thursday, January 28, 2010

White Chicken Chili

I like a hot soup for dinner on cold days.  And if I have time in the morning it's all the better because I can put it all in the crockpot for later.   Since I had to boil the beans and cook the chicken first I could have waited but I like the thought of it simmering in there all day and bringing all the flavors together.  All the recipes I have seen for this call for canned beans.  I used dry beans and boiled them for an hour then rinsed and put in the pot with the other ingredients.  I used half Great Northern and half Navy.  

White Chicken Chili

1 1/2 cup dry white beans
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1 cup chicken broth
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
2 cans chopped mild green chilies
1 teas. ground cumin
1 1/2 teas. cayenne pepper
Juice of 1 lime
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Sour cream - optional
cheddar cheese - optional

Process beans as you wish.  Put all ingredients except lime juice and cilantro in pot with lid and cook.  If you use a crock pot its about 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 on high.  Before serving add lime juice to taste and garnish with cilantro.  Also garnish with Sour cream and cheese if desired.  I recommend it.

Observations - Check your cans of chilies before you just dump them in.  I didn't and ended up fishing woody pieces out of my mouth.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails