Friday, March 12, 2010

Granola Bars



My kids love these homemade granola bars.  I like that they are made with ingredients I can see and choose.  However these are very sweet and I wish they weren't so much.  I've tried leaving out some sugar but they don't hold up as well.  My littlest loves them with mini-m&m's, this time I didn't have any.  I used chocolate chips and chopped peanuts and substituted a bit of oatmeal with rice krispies.  If you like raisins or crazins or other dried fruit that would work as well, perhaps with a bit of cinnamon.  The recipe for these is also in my neighborhood cookbook.

Granola Bars

2/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1 teas. vanilla
4 cups quick oats

Preheat oven to 350deg. Melt butter and stir in peanut butter.  Add corn syrup, brown sugar and vanilla.  Mix in oats a bit at a time.  Then add other ingredients, m&m's, choc chips etc.
Press in 9x13 pan and bake 14-16 minutes.
I find it easier to line the pan with foil or the like to remove the whole batch from the pan and cut.

1 comment:

Elizabeth-W said...

I should try to do these, too. But it is the sugar that keeps me away.
I make rice crispy treats with craisins and pistachios at Xmas (get it? red and green?) and they're very cute and very delicious. Maybe try that mix next time. I'll give your recipe a go.

Related Posts with Thumbnails