Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fried Plantains

It has been a long time since I've had fried plantains and I have been thinking about them recently.  So, when I saw some nice looking plantains at the store the other day I snatched some up. (its hard to find nice looking ones, I ususally only see old bruised looking ones.)

My husband had only heard that they were nasty.  I can only assume whoever told him this must have tried to eat them like a banana.  Even my kids ate a few.  Some liked them dipped in ketchup and I am sure other sauces would be good also.  They are a bit like a potato fry with a slight banana taste.

This is the way I learned when years ago some roommates and neighbors fried some up:

First slice 1/4ish thick slices and fry (they do turn a bit yellow) on each side until slighty golden and softened.  Place on paper towel and smash them flatter.  Then return to the pan and fry again until crisp.  Serve warm and with sauce of choice. 
 
Frying in pan

Smashed on paper towel

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails