Saturday, August 7, 2010

Neighborhood Iron Chef - Orange Delight Pie.

My neighborhood has a tradition of an Iron Chef competition.  About 50+ women divide up into about 8 teams and are given 1 hour to come up with a main dish and a dessert given a secret ingredient.  I believe it was H.O.'s brain child and I would like to congratulate her on it's 4th year of success even though she hasn't been in charge since about 2 years? ago.   Those in charge this year did a fine job.  Although I don't think the word got spread around as much and few people maybe didn't hear of it.  But that was due to a recent change in the leadership and hopefully next year that will get better.




This year the secret ingredient was Orange Juice.  Wow, the things that all the ladies in the competition came up with were fantastic.  I was on a wonderful team hosted by D.Y. and including S.R., R.B., C.L., J.S., and me.  Thankfully D.Y. had a large enough kitchen that we weren't crowded to death.    My team trusted me and went with the orange chicken I have already posted in my blog.  S.R. came up with the initial idea for the Orange pie we made and everyone contributed a bit to it.  We made two pies So I will try to remember the ingredients for just one.  Anyway we won 2nd place!  I won second place last year as well, with just two of us on my team.  Just saying.  I had a great time and got to know a few ladies a bit better.  Thanks you guys for a great night!



I think we all agreed after the smorgasbord that the pie ended up a little two sweet.  I am putting this recipe as I remember it with a slight adjustment that we sort of talked about as we ate everyone's wonderful concoctions.    I think it could still be improved upon but with an hour you don't have a lot of time to mess around. 




Orange Delight pie.

1 graham cracker crust
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
4 Tbs orange juice
1 teas orange zest
1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar (to taste)
1 small pkg vanilla pudding, made according to package directions for pie (less milk)
1 cup whipping cream, whipped, add powdered sugar if you like it sweeter.

Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, oj and zest.  Add more sugar and/or orange juice if desired to taste.  Fold in 1/2 of the whipped cream.   Scoop into prepared pie shell.  Layer pudding on top of cream cheese.  Top with remaining whipped cream.  Garnish with orange slices.

I'll update with pictures if and when I get them.  J.S. the lady who had the camera, and more skills in that dept. than me, is due in two weeks with her third child.  I'm impressed she gets done all the things she does but if nothing happens for a while I totally understand.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails