Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tortillas


Ahh,  The new toy.
I bought this beautifully hand-crafted Tortilla press hot off the press from my brother-in-law.  He happens to be a master craftsman and I literally happened to be at the right place at the right time.  He was turning out about 10 of these little beauties and I was lucky enough to snag one the minute he was done.

It took me a while to get a chance to use it however.   I started with flour tortillas.  Here is the recipe I used.  I Think they ended up a little puffy, but good.  They were more like what I have grown up with as "fry-bread." 

Flour Tortillas
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup very hot water

Combine flours, baking powder and salt.  Cut in the shortening.  Add water a little at a time until a nice dough forms.  If it's too sticky add more flour.   I forgot to buy baking powder AGAIN and ended up using half soda and half cream of tartar.   I'm not sure if that contributed to the puffiness I had. 


Place 2 inch dough blob on plastic-wrap lined press.   Press.  lift and turn tortilla 90deg. 



Press again.  

So easy a child can do it.

Fry in pan.



We served ours like tacos.  Yum.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails