Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Peanut Butter Fudge

Christmas is the best!  When else do we get to make loads of candy and cookies and not feel too guilty about it? This year I'm running behind on the goodies.  I'm going to have to really hurry to catch up.  Maybe those Christmas cards will have to wait until Valentines day.    I may like to make a lot of stuff but I am small potatoes compared to my Mother-in-law and Sister-in-law.  Last time I was there for Christmas it was hard to keep away from the goodie-laden counter.

We've started out the season with a little Peanut butter Fudge.  It's been a few years since I made this and couldn't remember which recipe I liked best.  So I started with the marshmallow recipe.  The good thing about fudges made with marshmallow is they tend to end up creamier than without.  I remember making fudge (with black walnuts from our back yard!) with my parents when I was younger and they would have to beat it a long time.  Not so necessary with the marshmallows.  Maybe later I will have to try the other recipe, this one is fine but I wish it had a more peanutty flavor.


Peanut Butter Fudge

Ingredients

2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups white sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1. Line 9x13 baking pan with No-stick tin-foil.  I always use this for candy. 
2. In a 3 quart saucepan, combine white sugar, brown sugar, milk, and butter. Cook to soft ball stage, 234 degrees F (112 degrees C). Remove from heat.  
[Make sure you check your thermometer, in my high altitude mine gets to about 227deg.  Boil water for 10 min and check temperature, sea level is 212 deg.  Adjust your temp as needed.  Every thermometer is different also, even though the charts say I should be about 14 degrees different my adjustment is only 7degrees.  For example at 10 min of boiling your thermometer reads 208deg. Subtract 4 degrees from 234 (for fudge) and you should need to reach 230 on your thermometer.]
3. Stir in peanut butter, vanilla and marshmallows; continue stirring until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared pan and cool. Cut into squares and serve.

I dare you to not eat it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails