Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Peanutty Chocolate Truffles


I tried a new candy this year.   Earlier in the fall I was mixing up a concoction of Hot cocoa mix, extra cocoa powder and Chocolate Complete Shake and Protein Shake to put in a large #10 can for the kids to use.  I figure they may as well get a little nutrition out of it, right?   Anyway it was also using up my 4 yr old cocoa packets.   As I was emptying them, I happened to notice they had recipes on them.  One was for Peanutty Chocolate Truffles.    I set one of those empty packets aside for further study.  Christmas was coming soon and what better time to make candy?


Peanutty Chocolate Truffles

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/3 cup Milk Chocolate Nestle Hot Cocoa Mix
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup finely chopped cocktail peanuts

Line baking sheet with waxed paper.
Beat peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in medium bowl until creamy.
combine cocoa mix and powdered sugar in anotehr bowl.  Stir into peanut butter mixture
Place peanuts in flat dish.  Scoop peanut butter mixture into 1 1/2 in. balls; roll in peanuts to coat.  Place on prepared baking sheets.  Refrigerate until firm.  Serving size 24 truffles.
___

What I did, because as you know by now I can't follow a recipe exactly.   I used butter of course, not margarine.  I also used the cocoa concoction I had come up with instead of straight Nestle Hot cocoa mix.  I dipped the balls in chocolate and then rolled some of them in the nuts.  As for the nuts I rinsed some of the salt/seasoning off of them and let them dry before chopping.

I liked both the plain and nut rolled ones equally.  The whole thing being a bit frostingish on the inside, but a good experiment and easy to make.    I may make these again.  I think dipping in chocolate definatly improved them. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails